£40,608 - £43,962
35 hours per week (part time and job share requests will be considered)
Permanent and Temporary roles available
Our office is based in Dundee however working location is flexible
About the roles
Due to career progression and parental leave, we are looking to recruit a number of Solicitors in both permanent and temporary roles.
You will investigate concerns raised about social service workers, provide legal advice on the course of action the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) should take and present cases at Panel.
Who we are
Do you want to make a real difference and help us protect some of the most vulnerable people in society?
Come join us at the Scottish Social Services Council (SSSC) where your work means that the people of Scotland can count on social services being provided by a trusted, skilled and confident workforce.
We are the independent regulator for the social work, social care and children and young people workforce in Scotland. Our work means the people of Scotland can count on these services being provided by a trusted, skilled, confident and valued workforce.
We protect the public by registering this workforce, setting standards for their practice, conduct, training and education and by supporting their professional development. Where people fall below the standards of practice and conduct, we can investigate and take action.
We have a proven track record in growing legal talent. Our Head of Fitness to Practise, Head of Hearings and Head of Legal and Corporate Governance all started as solicitors at the SSSC. Some other examples of external places our solicitors have gone to are:
- Private practice
- The bar
- Law Society of Scotland
- Scottish Government Legal Directorate
- General Teaching Council for Scotland
- Disclosure Scotland
- Office of the Scottish Charity Register
- Local authorities
What you need to succeed
- You must demonstrate that you have relevant qualifications and experience in your particular area of interest.
- Can demonstrate and share our values of working together, responsibility and accountability, respect and recognition
- Can manage your own workload and act autonomously with minimal supervision
- Have the skills and experience to learn to use the computer systems that we work with on a daily basis
Why work for us
We are excellent at developing legal talent and you will be part of a large legal team in an organisation that values the contribution of each person. You will have lots of support to achieve your own personal goals while making a real difference. We have a very supportive work environment and have embraced the benefits of flexible working. We can offer:
- local government pension scheme
- up to 43 days holiday per year (dependent on service)
- a full range of benefits
- a supportive work environment
- an ability to have a real say in when and where you will work
- great digital systems
- amazing colleagues with a range of experience to learn from
Our office is in Dundee and we have an agile working policy. We encourage remote working and support a less office-based format. We are happy to discuss individual arrangements and consider agile working, depending on job requirements (such as being in the office for training, meetings and a minority of hearings that take place in-person).
How to apply
You’ll find more information in the job profile and person specification.
For an informal and confidential chat about the role, please contact David Morrison on 01382 721 819, or via email, email@example.com
To apply, please complete the online application form by 8.00am on Monday 9 October 2023. The interviews will be during the week commencing 30 October 2023.