UK tax payers can claim tax relief on the annual fee but you must ask your employer to check you are eligible first. For example, for registrants paying tax at the standard rate of 20%, the annual fee for social workers will be £64 after £16 tax relief. You can make backdated tax relief claims up to six years.

There are three different ways of claiming tax relief on your registration fees.

  1. Use form P87: Tax relief for expenses of employment, available to download from the HMRC website.
  2. Telephone HMRC and ask for relief on your fees. Contact details can be found on the HMRC website.
  3. If you complete a self-assessment tax return, you can claim tax relief on your registration fees on the employment page of the return.

See the HMRC website for further details including allowable expenses, eligibility and claiming back tax for past years.

Please note you still have to pay the full fee to the SSSC first, then, if you are eligible, claim tax relief from HMRC. We cannot directly deduct tax relief from registration fees paid to us.