Please note: There are two parts to supervisor’s qualification requirements. You must hold a practice and a supervisory qualification.
- Any practice qualification in the manager category
- HNC Social Services
- SVQ Social Services and Healthcare at SCQF Level 7
You must gain an additional supervisory or management qualification. It must contain at least 15 credits at SCQF level 7 or above of supervision or management theory and practice for a supervisor of a care service. There are four ways you can meet this requirement:
- PDA Health and Social Care Supervision at SCQF level 7
- SVQ Social Services and Healthcare at SCQF level 9
- Any two units from the list we have specified here from SVQ Social Services and Healthcare at SCQF level 9 and SVQ Care Services Leadership and Management at SCQF level 10
- Another qualification that contains at least 15 credits at SCQF level 7 of supervision or management theory and practice specifically for a supervisor of a care service
If you are considering progressing into a management role in the future, you may wish to consider options 2 or 3 above, since these would build towards meeting the requirements for managers in adult services
Please note that qualifications must be specifically for a supervisor of a care service – we do not accept generic supervisory or management awards
Qualifications meeting both practice and supervisory requirements
All of the qualifications below are acceptable on their own and you do not need to do an additional supervisory qualification.
- BA (Hons) Social Work (or equivalent)
- SVQ Social Services and Healthcare at SCQF Level 9
- Any practice qualification as defined in the category “Housing Support, Manager,” qualifications.
Qualifications meeting requirements of other regulatory bodies:
- Degree/Diploma in Community Education as recognised by the Standards Council for Community Learning and Development for Scotland Approvals Committee
- A qualification meeting the registration requirements of the General Teaching Council (Scotland), Nursing and Midwifery Council or the General Medical Council
- A qualification meeting the registration requirements for the following professional groups regulated by the Health and Care Professions Council:
- Occupational Therapists
- Art, Music and Drama Therapists
- Speech and Language Therapists
- Practitioner Psychologists
Please note we’re currently reviewing our approach to accepting qualifications which have been accepted by another regulatory body. If you have any questions about this or your qualifications being suitable for SSSC registration, contact us using the web form on our Contact us page.
Legacy qualifications meeting both practice and supervisory requirements
- BA (Hons)/Diploma Social Pedagogy (University of Aberdeen)
- BA Community Care (Robert Gordon University)
- BA/Diploma Curative Education (University of Aberdeen)
- NVQ Community Justice (Work with Offending Behaviour) (Level 4)
- NVQ Community Justice (Work with Victims, Survivors and Witnesses) (Level 4) to include or with the addition of a value base unit ('O' unit or Principles of Care)
- SVQ/NVQ 4 Care
- SVQ/NVQ 4 Health and Social Care at SCQF Level 9
- SVQ/NVQ 4 Community Justice (Work with Offending Behaviour)
- SVQ/NVQ 4 Community Justice (Work with Victims, Survivors and Witnesses)
- A qualification meeting the corporate membership requirements of the Chartered Institute of Housing (certificated before 31st December 2011)
Legacy qualification meeting only the practice requirement
- A qualification meeting the corporate membership requirements of the Chartered Institute of Housing (certificated before31st December 2011).
- BA (Hons) Learning Disability Studies (The University of Manchester)
- Certificate in Deafblind Studies with the Diploma in Deafblind Studies and the Practice Unit in Deafblind Studies
- Diploma in Domiciliary Care Management
- Diploma in the Training and Further Education of Mentally Handicapped Adults
- Higher Education Certificate in Care (Queen Margaret University)
- Higher Education Certificate in Care or Person Centred Approaches for Social Care Workers (Queen Margaret University College)
- HNC Social Care (2005 revised award G7ME15)
- HNC Social Care (all other awards pre-2005) with the SVQ Health and Social Care units DK4R04, DK4K04, DK5704 or H5LE 04 (SCDHSC0033), H5RY 04 (SCDHSC0031), H5LD 04 (SCDHSC0032)
- NVQ 3 Community Justice (Work with Offending Behaviour) or NVQ 3 Community Justice (Work with Victims, Survivors and Witnesses) with the addition of a value base unit ('O' unit or Principles of Care)
- SVQ 3 Care
- SVQ/NVQ 3 Care with HNC Social Care (Combined Award)
- SVQ 3 Community Justice: Work with Offending Behaviour at SCQF Level 7 (G9WM 23 and all other awards pre-2010)
- SVQ 3 Community Justice: Work with Victims, Survivors and Witnesses at SCQF Level 7 (G9YK 23 Route A only)
- SVQ 3 Health and Social Care at SCQF Level 7
- SVQ 3 Promoting Independence
- SVQ/NVQ Housing, Chartered Institute of Housing (CIH) Joint Award (Level 3) plus SVQ Principles of Care (Level 3) unit HSC35. This refers to the CIH Level 3 Certificate in Housing for Support Workers which is a combination of CIH Level 3 Certificate in Housing (also known as VRQ Level 3/SCQF Level 6 CIH National Certificate in Housing) plus HSC 35 or SVQ/NVQ Level 3 Housing and CIH Level 3 Certificate in Housing
- VRQ Level 3/SCQF Level 6 Chartered Institute of Housing National Certificate in Housing - Supported Housing Pathway plus SVQ unit HSC35 principles of care (Level 3)
Note – CIH / and S/NVQ Housing qualifications are only accepted in H/S services. They are not acceptable for other registration categories.
Legacy qualifications meeting only the supervisory requirement
- A combination of units from the past version of the SVQ 4 Management at SCQF level 9 (GC47 24). Please see the list of units here. Please note units must be at least SCQF level 7 and we do not accept any units that appear only in the current award (GM27 24).