If you want to become a social worker you’ll study at university. See the list of universities offering social work qualifications below.

Social work courses are full time, delivered over four years (undergraduate degree) or two years (postgraduate). There is also a work-based route provided by the Open University. All courses include practice learning where you are assessed in work placements.

There is a Memorandum of Understanding between the four countries of the UK which allows you to register with SSSC if you studied in England, Wales or Northern Ireland. If you studied a specialist social work postgraduate programme in England such as Frontline, Step Up or Think Ahead, you should read the information here.

College, training centre or university Type of award
University of Dundee BA (Hons) Social Work / MSc Social Work
University of Edinburgh BSc (Social Work) / PgDip / MSW Social Work
Glasgow Caledonian University BSc (Hons) Social Work / PgDip / MSc Social Work
University of the West of Scotland BA (Hons) Social Work / MSc Social Work
Robert Gordon University BA (Hons) Social Work / BA (Hons) Social Work – Distance Learning / PgDip / MSc Social Work
University of Stirling BA (Hons) Social Work / PgDip / MSc Social Work
Open University BA (Hons) Social Work / PgDip Social Work – Employment based routes
University of Strathclyde BA (Hons) Social Work / MSW Social Work
Edinburgh Napier University MSW Social Work