There are various ways to pay your fee but some methods are much faster and more secure than others.


  • Online - the quickest and most secure way to pay your fee is through MySSSC
  • Direct Debit - choose this option to set up future direct debit details for payment of annual/renewal fees only.
    To pay your fees by Direct Debit, choose the Direct Debit option when you complete your online application and download the Direct Debit Instruction and send it to us.
  • Phone – We accept debit and credit card payments by phone. Call 0345 60 36 979, 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. We are closed on Wednesdays from 9am-10am.
    Please quote your unique application reference number printed on your form in the bottom left corner of each page (usually your National Insurance number) (may change depending on system)
  • Tonepay – An automated payment system, available 24hrs a day 7 days a week for your convenience. If you have received an invoice from us, then please call 0345 60 36 979 and choose option 1, option 1 to use this service. You will require your 6 digit customer number that you will find top left on your invoice or reminder. You then enter the amount you wish to pay, followed by your card details. A reference number will be provided once your payment has been successful.


Claiming tax relief on your fee

UK tax payers can claim tax relief on the annual fee but you must ask your employer to check that you are eligible first. For example, for registrants paying tax at the standard rate of 20%, the annual fee for social workers will be £64 after £16 tax relief. You can make tax relief claims backdated up to six years.

There are three different ways of claiming tax relief on your registration fees.


  1. You can claim tax relief using form P87: Tax relief for expenses of employment, available to download from the HMRC website.
  2. You can telephone HMRC and ask for relief on your fees. Contact details can be found on the HMRC website.
  3. If you complete a self-assessment tax return, you can claim tax relief on your registration fees on the employment page of the return.


See the HMRC website for further details including allowable expenses, eligibility and claiming back tax for past years.

Please note that you still have to pay the full fee to the SSSC first. Then, if you are eligible, you claim tax relief from HMRC. We cannot directly deduct any tax relief from registration fees paid to us.