Find out about what we do and who to contact for media enquiries
- We register and regulate key groups of social service workers.
- We promote and regulate education and training and raise the standards of practice by social service workers.
- Our work means the people of Scotland can count on social services being provided by a trusted, skilled and confident workforce.
The social service workforce
- There were 200,650 social service workers in Scotland in 2016.
- By September 2017 we had registered more than 100,000 workers.
- Our Register is qualification based and applicants must hold or be working towards a qualification.
- They also have to keep their learning up to date.
- Workers on our Register need to adhere to the SSSC Codes of Practice for Social Service Workers.
- There is also a Code of Practice for Employers.
The SSSC and the Care Inspectorate
Both were set up under the Regulation of Care (Scotland) Act 2001.
- The Care Inspectorate regulates and inspects service provision.
- The SSSC regulates and registers the social service workforce and its education and training.
Hearings and decisions
See our hearings and decisions sections for more information on upcoming hearings or decisions. If you would like to attend a hearing find out what you need to know here.
Features and interviews
We can arrange interviews on topics such as:
- registration of social workers, social care and day care of children workers
- the SSSC Codes of Practice for Social Service Workers and Employers
- qualification requirements for social service workers
- education and training opportunities
- issues concerning the sector
- statistical information regarding the workforce
- international qualifications
- the work of the sector skills council, Skills for Care and Development (SfCD)
- action taken against social service workers and removal from the Register
- making sure workers are qualified for the jobs they do
- conduct hearings
- careers in social services.
We can also arrange interviews with our:
- Chief Executive, Lorraine Gray
- Convener, Professor James McGoldrick.
Our news releases
Read our latest news here.
SSSC News Online
You can see our regular features and latest news on SSSC News Online.
You can watch videos about us and our work on our YouTube channel SSSCTV.
Who to contact
For all media enquiries please contact:
Senior Communications Officer:
Direct contact number: