One of our roles is to make sure Scotland has a skilled and competent workforce able to meet the challenges facing social services in Scotland now and in the future. We register social service workers to make sure workers have the right skills through gaining qualifications. We also make sure that those who are on the Register continue to develop their skills.
Our Learning Technologies Team help social service workers and employers think differently about learning and development. Learning doesn’t always have to be delivered through accredited learning courses or programmes. We use technology to deliver better learning.
SSSC Learning Zone
The SSSC Learning Zone contains a variety of resources to help support workers and employers within social services meet their responsibilities for workforce development.
The tools we have available include:
- a suite of dementia resources to enhance your learning and understanding
- an adult support and protection app, for iOS, Android and Windows phones
- the National Occupational Standards (NOS) Navigator which helps you find your way around the NOS, making it easier to plan the units you need to complete when undertaking an SVQ
- the multi-professional practice simulator where you will find case studies that will allow you to assess information and make decisions in a safe environment
- a planning and organising for workforce development resource which supports employers and workers when planning and organising their workforce development.
You can find out about our full range of resources on the SSSC Learning Zone.
Transforming learning with mobile technology
We are currently developing a full range of Android versions of our existing iOS apps to support workforce development.
Open Badges are digital records of your achievements and skills. They're linked to assessment and evidence and can be used to give real value to the reflection you put into learning from different sources. We issued our first Open Badge in March 2015 and we're continuously adding to the range of badges we offer.
View our Open Badges website.
Open educational resources
As well as making use of the resources on our Learning Zone, we are beginning to create open educational resources (OERs) of our apps which can be adapted for free, for non-commercial purposes, to create your own tools and resources. This section will be updated periodically to highlight OERs available.