Funding for training

Here you can source funding information for organisations delivering social work, social care and support as well as childhood practice services such as nurseries, out of school clubs etc. This is useful for employers, employees, stakeholder organisations, those commissioning services and students.

There is a separate funding update for private sector organsations.

Other sources of funding

Other sources of funding that you may be able to access are:

  • part-time fee grant
  • up to £500 for part-time qualifications at Scottish Credit and Qualification Framework (SCQF) levels 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11.

For more information and to download an application form on the part time funding grant visit the Student Award Agency for Scotland’s (SAAS) website.

ILA Scotland

ILA200 is a Scottish Government scheme to help pay for courses such as Scottish Vocational Qualifications (SVQs) and IT skills.

ILAs are changing in October 2017 to Individual Training Accounts (ITA). Find out more on My World of Work's website

The Scottish Local Authority External Funding Officers Group

Local Authority Funding Advisers provide advice and guidance to extend investment in their local area. Often based in Chief Executive or Economic Development departments, advisers offer assistance and manage grant funding information on their local authority website. This includes databases providing current information on hundreds of UK and Scottish funders, such as the Tudor Trust.

Download The Scottish Local Authority External Funding Officers Group leaflet

eLearning resources

There are tools on our SSSC Learning Zone to help workers plan and progress their own learning and tools to support employers develop the workforce they need now, or may need in the future.

Funding for degree in social work

We manage postgraduate bursaries for students studying the full time MSc Social Work at the following Universities:

  • University of Dundee
  • University of Edinburgh
  • Glasgow Caledonian University
  • University of Strathclyde
  • The Robert Gordon University
  • University of Stirling
  • University of West of Scotland

Funding is reviewed annually but currently includes tuition fees and a maintenance grantPlease contact the Bursaries team at for further information.

For all undergraduate courses in Scotland including the BA (Hons) Social Work, students should apply to SAAS.

Find out more about training to become a social worker and funding available on our career page.

Useful resources

Lloyds TSB Foundation for Scotland provide capacity building grants to help charities run as effectively as possible.

Skills Development Scotland’s My World of Work has a page on its website to help individuals who require financial support for their studies.

Skills Development Scotland can both assist with information on Modern Apprenticeships. 

Scottish Council for Voluntary Organisations has a list of funding sources on their website.

Workforce Matters has information on funding and learning opportunities for organisations in the private sector.

The Housing Support Enabling Unit offers support to housing support services in the voluntary, private and registered social landlord sectors.

Scottish Community Foundation provide financial awards for a range of projects.

Interface has a list of funding opportunities available to companies wishing to work in partnership with universities and research institutes.