Consultation on the supervisory and management qualification requirements for adult services
We are considering making changes to the supervisory and management qualification requirements for registration and we need to hear your views to make sure we get that right.
This consultation runs until 16 April 2017.
To register with us supervisors in adult services need to have a practice qualification and a supervisory qualification. This is to make sure they can demonstrate the knowledge and skills required for both the practice and supervisory aspects of their role. Managers in adult services also need to have a practice qualification and a management qualification, to reflect the practice and managerial aspects of their role.
It’s important we hear the views of as many people as possible, especially supervisors and managers themselves. The questionnaire does cover some technical changes to the qualification requirements but it is not only for employers or learning providers.
We would like to hear your views on two things.
- What you think are the important elements of a supervisor’s role that relate to the supervision of staff, resources and processes? Also what do you think can support and challenge supervisors to do this well?
The information we have gathered so far suggests the current qualification requirement does not reflect the range of high-level skills and knowledge needed to carry out the supervision side of a supervisor’s role effectively. We are considering increasing this requirement and specifying the scope of what must be in a supervisory qualification.
- We are proposing an increase in the minimum required level of the management requirement, which would align it more closely with the relevant National Occupational Standards (NOS).
Who do we want to hear from?
We would like to hear from as many people as possible, particularly:
- supervisors and managers in adult social services
- learning providers
- awarding bodies
- representative organisations.
What will we do with the information we gather?
We hope the information we gather will help us:
- better understand supervision in different settings and organisations in adult services
- decide whether to change the requirements and, in the case of supervisors, inform what those requirements would be
- develop wider workforce projects and resources to support supervisors and managers.
Please answer some or all of the questions. If you don’t want to answer a particular question, please just move on to the next one. Please refer to the frequently asked questions while you are completing the questionnaire.
If you have any queries about the questionnaire, or would like it in a different format, please get in touch with Jacqueline McDonagh, SSSC Learning and Development, email@example.com, 01382 207316.
The consultation closes at midnight on 16 April 2017.