To register a worker must satisfy the criteria for registration. This includes holding, or agreeing to work towards, the appropriate qualifications for the job they do*.

Applicants to the Register who do not hold the required qualifications may, if they meet all the other eligibility criteria such as evidence of good character, be granted registration subject to the condition that they achieve the required qualification within a specific period of time – normally within the period of their first registration.  Find out more on our conditions on registration section.

If your job function is not described then you are not currently required to register with the SSSC.

Don't know which part of the Register to apply for?  Download the definitions of Register parts

* Social Workers, and SCSWIS Authorised Officers must hold relevant qualifications and Social Work students must be studying for a suitable social work qualification to be eligible for registration.

Group of workers

Social workers

Social work students

If you are a social work student studying the new degree, postgraduate or fast track programme you must be registered with the SSSC for the duration of your course.

Authorised persons with the Care Inspectorate

To be registered as an authorised person with the Care Inspectorate you must be employed by the Care Inspectorate as an authorised person and hold a practitioner qualification in an occupation that is necessary for the delivery of a regulated care service.

Residential child care services

Care home services for adults

Adult day care services

School care accommodation services

Workers in some services registered with the care Inspectorate as School Care Accommodation services are required to register as residential child care workers. If you are unsure if this applies to you, please contact our helpline on 0845 60 30 891. 

Day care of children services (nurseries etc)

Housing support services

Care at home services

(a care at home service is a support service which provides care and support in a person's own home)


Do you have a qualification gained overseas?

Are you a training provider?

* Guidance for training providers delivering management and supervision programmes

Looking for funding for training?

You can find information and links on our Funding for Training page.


Contact us

Visit our contact us page to find the best way to get in touch.